Have you ever taken a bite of something so tantalizing that you had to do a double take, wondering if you truly made it? This is one such dish.
Let me introduce you to a sumptuous one-pot creamy potato soup that’ll bowl you over! Laden with crispy bacon and pillowy potato chunks, this soup is the embodiment of comfort in our household.
Imagine this: A brisk, windy weekend outside, while inside, a pot of this creamy delight bubbles away on the stove. Can you think of a cozier picture? I certainly can’t! And even though sports aren’t really my jam, I’ve heard through the grapevine that this soup is the perfect companion for the upcoming big game.
It’s no fuss, no mess, and always a hit! If my family had their way, they’d have me whipping this up daily. Do try it; I’m confident you’ll be smitten! For this delightful creation, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 6 slices of bacon (around 6 oz.), cut into 1-inch segments
- 3 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat or butter
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of warmed milk
- 1.5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm a soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Toss in the bacon segments and fry until they’re crisp and have released their fat.
- Transfer the crispy bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Drain the excess grease from the pot, retaining about 3 tablespoons. (If there isn’t enough bacon grease, supplement with butter.)
- Introduce the diced onion and thyme to the pot. Sauté until the onion turns translucent, roughly 7 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle the flour over the onion mix, stirring to merge.
- Continue to sauté for another minute, letting the flour cook a bit. Stir now and then.
- Pour in the chicken broth, ensuring it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Add the potato chunks, warmed milk, and a portion of the bacon bits. Turn up the heat until the soup begins to boil.
- Drop the heat to a simmer and let the potatoes soften for 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally, keeping an eye on the pot’s bottom to prevent sticking and burning.
- Once the potatoes are tender, blend in the sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve the soup piping hot. Adorn with toppings of your choice – crispy bacon bits, more cheddar, or perhaps a sprinkle of green onions. Enjoy!