Imagine the enticing aroma of freshly baked bread mingling with the sweet scent of cinnamon and nutmeg, permeating every corner of your cozy kitchen. Picture yourself sinking your spoon into a warm, velvety slice of bread pudding, topped with a generous drizzle of luscious vanilla sauce. This is not just an ordinary dessert—it is a culinary masterpiece that will transport you to a place of comfort and indulgence. Hold on tight to this recipe, my friend, because once you taste this delectable bread pudding in casserole with vanilla sauce, you will never let it go.
It was a chilly winter evening, and as snow gently dusted the ground outside, the scent of warm spices wafted through the air. My grandmother, a culinary genius with a heart of gold, stood in the kitchen, meticulously preparing her signature bread pudding. As she shared her secret recipe with me, a passion for creating delicious, soul-warming desserts ignited within me. Now, I pass on this recipe to you, dear reader, with the hopes that it will become a timeless favorite in your household, just as it has been in mine.
– 4 cups of day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
– 2 cups milk
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 cup butter, melted
– 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
For the Vanilla Sauce:
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a casserole dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, heavy cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until well blended.
3. Add the bread cubes to the mixture and gently stir until they are all coated. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, allowing the bread to soak up the custard.
4. If using raisins, fold them into the bread mixture.
5. Pour the melted butter evenly over the mixture and gently toss to distribute it.
6. Transfer the bread pudding mixture to the greased casserole dish, spreading it out evenly.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and the center is set. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean.
8. While the bread pudding is baking, prepare the vanilla sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream, sugar, butter, and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
9. Once the bread pudding is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly. Serve warm, drizzled with the vanilla sauce.
Each mouthful of this bread pudding in casserole with vanilla sauce will transport you to a place of pure bliss. The combination of soft, custardy bread, warm spices, and the heavenly touch of the vanilla sauce is a symphony for your taste buds. Save this recipe, not just for its incredible taste, but also for the memories it will create—moments shared with loved ones, tales told, and hearts warmed. Indulge in this delightful treat, and let the flavors dance on your palate, bringing comfort and joy to your soul.