Ingredients FOR THE CAKE: 5 egg whites, room temperature ¾ cup buttermilk ¾ cup unsalted […]
Brown Gravy Smothered Hamburger Steaks are made with ground beef, seasoned to perfection, and nestled in a delicious and rich brown gravy. It’s the perfect comfort meal for any day of the week.
A forkful of the Brown Gravy Smothered Hamburger Steak
Preparing Brown Gravy Smothered Hamburger Steaks does not get any easier than this! Trust me when I say, there’s a reason why this recipe has been in my family for generations.
If you follow these easy steps, you’ll have juicy hamburger steaks swimming in savory gravy before you know it!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE BROWN GRAVY-SMOTHERED HAMBURGER STEAKS:
Prior to cooking, gather everything you will need.
For the hamburger patties, gather olive oil, ground beef, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, pre-diced bell papers, pre-diced onions, bread crumbs, and a large egg.
For the gravy, you will need two packs of your preferred Brown gravy mix and Worcestershire sauce.
WHAT ALTERNATIVE CAN I USE FOR BEEF?
If you are avoiding beef, ground turkey is a great alternative. Follow the same exact instruction. To avoid overly dry steaks, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the ground turkey mixture prior to frying.
WHAT PANTRY ITEMS CAN I USE TO KICK THE GRAVY UP A NOTCH?
In place of water, you can use beef broth. Add French onion soup (not the dry mix) or cream of mushroom for more flavor in your gravy.
HOW TO MAKE THE HAMBURGER STEAKS:
First heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Then combine the ground beef and all of your seasonings in a large bowl. Next, add diced peppers, onions, bread crumbs, and eggs.
Mix everything with either your hands or a spoon. Do not over mix the meat. Take my word for it, you don’t want tough hamburger steaks!
After that, form the mixture into patties with your hands. For reference, the patties should be about the size of a donut.
To prevent shrinkage, poke a tiny hole in the middle of each patty. After all, we want patties, not meatballs. Set them aside on a plate or piece of parchment paper.
When your patties are formed and the oil in the skillet is hot, add the steaks. You want the skillet hot before you add your meat so you get a nice sear.
Fry on each side for about 5 minutes. The trick is to not fully cook them. They’ll finish cooking when you add them to the gravy later.
Ensure you fry the patties in batches. Avoid overcrowding the pan so you don’t lose flavor or that caramelized crust.
HOW TO MAKE THE BROWN GRAVY:
Don’t wash that skillet just yet! Use it to prepare the brown gravy according to package directions.
Add an extra cup or two of water, so the sauce does not get too thick. Now add the Worcestershire sauce to the gravy, mixing well.
Once the gravy reaches the thick consistency we desire, (this should take about 5 minutes) place all of the steaks back into the skillet. Finally, let it simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes before plating.
WHAT SIDES CAN I SERVE WITH BROWN GRAVY SMOTHERED HAMBURGER STEAKS?
I usually serve it alongside mashed potatoes and green beans but it would be equally as delicious poured over white rice. Other great sides would be this Southern Macaroni and Cheese, or they Cheesy Bacon Ranch Scalloped Potatoes.
BROWN GRAVY SMOTHERED HAMBURGER STEAKS
Brown Gravy Smothered Hamburger Steaks are made with ground beef seasoned to perfection and nestled in a delicious and rich brown gravy. The perfect comfort meal for any day of the week.
- 2 pounds Ground beef
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
- 1 cup Bell peppers & onions, diced (see notes)
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- 1 large Egg
- 2 packs Brown gravy mix, prepared
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron skillet works best). In a large bowl, add the ground beef and all of the seasoning. Also add the diced peppers and onions, bread crumbs, and egg.
- Mix the meat with a spoon, or by hand until everything is fully incorporated. Using your hand as, form the mixture into patties, about the size of a donut.
- Poke a tiny hole in the middle of each patty (this helps prevent too much shrinkage), and set them aside on a plate or piece of parchment paper.
- Once all of the patties are formed and the oil is hot, add the hamburger steaks to the skillet. Fry them on each side for about 5 minutes. Cook the steaks in batches so you don’t overcrowd the skillet.
- Remove them from the skillet and set them aside on a clean plate, or parchment paper.
- Using the same skillet, prepare the brown gravy according to package directions. Add an extra cup or two of water, as the sauce will thicken up. Also add the Worcestershire sauce to the gravy and mix well.
- Once the gravy begins to thicken (should be about 5 mins), nestle all of the steaks back into the skillet. Allow this to simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
Use the pre-diced, frozen bell pepper and onion mix to cut prep time.
Hamburger steaks will not be fully cooked when frying them first. This is to achieve a nice crust. They will be fully cooked when they’re added back into the gravy at the end.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 344TOTAL FAT: 29gSATURATED FAT: 12gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 16gCHOLESTEROL: 76mgSODIUM: 128mgCARBOHYDRATES: 14gFIBER: 3gSUGAR: 3gPROTEIN: 46g