- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 2 1/4 tsp or 1 package of yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp shortening, melted or oil
- 1 egg
- Oil for fryingGlaze for donuts;
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp milk or water, warmed
- 1.In a jug combine warmed milk and yeast, mix and let it foam up for 5-10 minutes.
- 2.In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a hook attachment, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- 3.Add melted shortening and egg to milk and yeast and mix to combine.
- 4.Add mixture to the flour mixture, mix on low until the dough comes together, increase speed to medium-high and mix for 5-7 minutes.
- 5.Grease bowl with oil and add dough, brush the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let it rise for one and a half to two hours.
- 6.Sprinkle a little bit of flour in your work surface and roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut donuts with a round cutter and cut a hole in the center.
- 7.Place donuts in a baking sheet, cover, and let it rise for 30-45 minutes.
- 8.Make the donuts glaze by combining all the glaze ingredients together.
- 9.Once donuts doubled again, start frying them on hot oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- 10.Remove from oil and place them on a cooling rack.
- 11.Dip each donut in the glaze allowing the excess glaze to drip off.
- 12.Allow glaze to set and enjoy.